RE - Sacramental Program
Preparation for Reconciliation and preparation for First Communion within school.
We ask the children, their families and their teachers to prepare together for the child’s first celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and their First Holy Communion by using the book “I Belong” by Aileen Urquhart.
School will provide each child with a copy free of charge. The books will form a complete and personal record of this special time.
First Holy Communion
The Parish and school will always be ready to help and support. Our school, in its Religious Education lesson, will teach your child about Jesus, the Church, the Sacraments and especially about Reconciliation and Holy Communion.
- Know that God loves them and is always ready to forgive no matter what;
- Know and understand what is meant by sin;
- Are able to reflect on their own behaviour;
- They want to express sorrow and to make amends;
- And appreciate the place and importance of Reconciliation.
You will know that your child is ready to make their First Communion when in their own way they:
- Know about Jesus, they pray to him and want to receive Communion with him and his church;
- Show reverence and respect;
- Know the difference between Holy Communion and ordinary food;
- Be attentive and aware of what is happening during Mass;
- Have some sense of belonging to the parish family.
If your child has not yet been baptised but is showing an interest in taking part, please speak with Father Tony McGrath. He will be very supportive and be happy to baptise your child and welcome them into the Catholic family. It may seem daunting but we will happily support you.
If you would like your child to be registered on the programme, please contact either Mrs McBride, Mrs Nixon or Mrs McGuire